The Journal of Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship is an online
publication that provides an opportunity for students in baccalaureate nursing programs to
publish outstanding papers.
- We encourage the submission of original research investigations, as
well as position papers addressing current issues in health care or the nursing
- Manuscripts will be reviewed for possible publication with the
understanding that they have not already been published elsewhere and are not currently in
press. Although publication in the Journal of Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship is
not intended to prohibit the student from seeking later publication in another journal,
the student is advised that some journals may choose not to accept articles already
- We also welcome letters from our readers about the Journal of
Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship. Your feedback is important for our continued
General Submission Criteria
- Styleguide. Authors should follow the style
guidelines presented in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association,
5th Ed., Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Title. Include title of paper, first name, middle
initial and last name of each author, name of institution where the work was done, name,
address, telephone number and email address of the author to whom any communication should
- Abstract. An abstract of not over 150 words should
be included with each manuscript.
- Manuscript length. Manuscripts should be no longer
than 1500 words.
- Letter length. Letters should be no longer than 400
- Acknowledgements. Acknowledgements should be
provided as an appendix to the text to address:
- individuals who contributed to the paper, but are not listed as
- faculty or college support for the students work;
- financial grants or other financial and material support;
- meetings at which the paper has been presented; and
- financial or commercial relationships that might pose a conflict of
- Abbreviations. Consult the Publication Manual of
the American Psychological Association, 4th Ed., Washington, DC: American
Psychological Association. The first time an uncommon abbreviation appears, it should be
accompanied by the full name for which it stands.
- References. Consult the Publication Manual of the
American Psychological Association, 4th Ed., Washington, DC: American
- Illustrations. Authors are encouraged to limit their
use of illustrations.
The criteria for research-focused manuscripts will differ from that
for position papers that focus on issues.
- Original Investigations. Research papers submitted
for the Original Investigations section may describe one of the following:
- the collection and interpretation of data
- a new model or technique
- new methods, or
- a case study
In general, the research paper should include the following:
- description of the problem
- theoretical framework
- literature review
- research question and hypotheses
- results, and
The methods section should include a description of the:
- population sample and sampling methods
- instruments used
- design and
- Position Papers. Position papers on nursing or
health care issues should present the authors views about a topic to stimulate the
thinking of nursing readers. The author should provide substantial support for opinions
expressed, but need not provide scientific proof of their validity. Headings should be
used to clarify the organization of the manuscript and denote the importance of each
topic. Authors are encouraged to follow APA editorial style in selecting the levels of
heading they use.
Transfer of Copyright.
Authors will be asked to grant limited copyright permission
to the Online Journal of Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship so that the manuscript
can be published. All other publishing rights will remain with the author.
You may submit the manuscripts in either Microsoft Word or
WordPerfect format. All submissions should be single-spaced. Manuscripts may be submitted
in any of the 3 ways listed below.
- Send the manuscript as an email attachment to mailto:email@example.com
- Mail a diskette containing the manuscript to:
Judith Effken, PhD, RN
PO Box 210203
College of Nursing
1305 N. Martin
The University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0203
Be sure to list your name, the manuscript title, and the format
(e.g., Microsoft Word 6.0) on the diskette label.
- Link the manuscript to your web site and send the title of the
manuscript and the url for the website to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Review and Action.
Manuscripts will be reviewed initially by the Editors and/or
Associate Editors. Authors will be notified within 2-4 weeks if a manuscript is deemed
inappropriate for the Journal prior to external review. Articles deemed appropriate for
the Journal will be sent to external reviewers. Authors will usually be notified within
eight weeks whether full review indicates acceptance, rejection, or a need for revision.
Manuscripts and letters will be edited before publication. The corresponding author will
be sent copies showing the changes, if any, prior to publication. Authors are responsible
for proofreading the revised copies.